Skip to main content

Keeping students engaged


Summary:  

This week I read an article about keeping students engaged during online tutoring. The article was written by Marcelo Barbosa Gagliano and in the article they mention that there is a specific type of student that will succeed in this setting and they have the following characteristics: 

(Gagliano 2017)


These characteristics are definitely the ideal traits for a student who is going to engage in online learning. The article goes on to say the instruction should mirror this set up: 

(Gagliano 2017)

My Thoughts: 

When I was reading this article I immediately thought about online learning due to the COVID-19 shut down. Those great qualities mentioned above of students are definitely not the qualities all students possessed going into the pandemic. A lot of students were ok and could get a handle on what they were supposed to do, but a lot of students struggled. My ELL students definitely missed out on the hands-on attention they usually receive in the classroom. 

During the Covid Shut down I tried to mirror the second Bulleted list above, but I found that my main struggle was getting students to interact with each other. I could tell the students wanted to interact together, but they were really dead set on keeping their cameras off. They did participate more in forum type settings, but my students found it challenging because they have learning disabilities and many have a hard time writing down their thoughts, so they were sometimes indiscernible. Add language difficulties on top of that and the online learning game became even harder. I am so glad we are finally back in the classroom and I can support my students with technology and try to engage them after a year of a lot of video games and TV for most students.  

Source: 

Gagliano, M. B. Keeping students engaged in an Online Tutoring System: A Brief Literature Review.

Comments

  1. Great post Samantha! I think all students and teachers struggled with the same issues. The interaction between students was very minimal. I would tell my students to put their cameras on before we started class. They usually would but there were a few students that would not have them on occasionally. Besides submitting their work, having their cameras on was the only way I could hold them accountable during class time. The characteristics you posted above are necessary for the student to be successful with online learning. There are so many distractions when students are home that it is difficult for the majority of them to learn in that environment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Flip or not to Flip

The Article:  This week brought me back to Google scholar to find an article that would interest me. The article I landed on was Exploring the Impact of Blended, Flipped, and Traditional Teaching Strategies for Teaching Grammar on Iranian EFL Learners by Farzaneh Khodabandeh and Mohammad Hassan Tahririan. This was another 41 page article, so I skimmed through the article and tried to make sense of the information presented.  The Summary:  The article was a study to compare the different types of teaching in an online class setting. In the article they compared the flipped classroom to the blended learning environment and the traditional learning environment. There was a pretest and post test of grammar skills. In the Traditionally taught group, there wasn’t a significant difference between the pretest and the post test. On the other hand in the blended and flipped classroom there was a significant improvement between the two tests. So which method was the best? Well, when we look at th

Augmented Reality Gaming in the classroom

I have gone easy on myself this week and the article I have chosen was only 6 pages! Even though it was a much shorter article than the others I have read so far for class, it was just as beneficial. This article was titled, “Augmented Reality Game(ARG), 21st Century Skills and ESL classroom.” A few things popped into my head as I read the title. One, I love augmented reality games, so I’m sure students will too. And two, I haven’t heard 21st century skills pop up in my PD sessions on inservice days in a while. It seems that while we are still teaching students the skills to be a 21st century learner the buzz word might be fizzling out.  The Summary:  In the Article Karmila Rafiq and Harwati Hashim talk about the success ARG has with ESL students. The article discussed an example of ARG which was Pokemon Go. The authors explain that games like these allow the user to gain real world skills by using maps, books, and tools. The article discussed the lack of real world skills people had w

The beginning and Effective strategies

    This week I was scouring the internet for some interesting reads, to try and wrap my head around starting this blog. As I was exploring blogs of differing genres, I realized the ones I gravitated toward were the "easy reads." Something light, but still worth reading. I also very much enjoy when I read something that directly relates to my content, or something I can easily try in my classroom. That is going to be my goal for this Blog. I will try to make it interesting, so you may read it quickly, and hopefully be able to take something away from it in the end.  My research took me to a 63 page document this week in addition to the readings for class, so needless to say I have been very tired. While I didn't read the document in its entirety, Informing Educators on Effective Strategies for LTELs by Maria Soto taught me about LTELs. LTELs stands for Long Term English Learners, and in her paper, Maria explains that LTELs are often looked upon in frustration for their l