Skip to main content

Augmented Reality Gaming in the classroom

I have gone easy on myself this week and the article I have chosen was only 6 pages! Even though it was a much shorter article than the others I have read so far for class, it was just as beneficial. This article was titled, “Augmented Reality Game(ARG), 21st Century Skills and ESL classroom.” A few things popped into my head as I read the title. One, I love augmented reality games, so I’m sure students will too. And two, I haven’t heard 21st century skills pop up in my PD sessions on inservice days in a while. It seems that while we are still teaching students the skills to be a 21st century learner the buzz word might be fizzling out. 


The Summary: 

In the Article Karmila Rafiq and Harwati Hashim talk about the success ARG has with ESL students. The article discussed an example of ARG which was Pokemon Go. The authors explain that games like these allow the user to gain real world skills by using maps, books, and tools. The article discussed the lack of real world skills people had when leaving school, and the need there is for less strict content learning, and more skills based learning. I came across the following quote which resonated with me. Rafiq and Hashim state, “This shows that using ARG can cater to better retention of knowledge in ESL because the fun nature of ARG lowers the anxiety in students learning a second language. Their article explains that through the combination of motivation and fun students can retain more of what they are learning. This can lead to ELL students acquiring language skills better and faster. 


My Take: 

This article makes me think about the games I play in my classroom. I don’t play Pokemon Go or any ARG in my classroom, because kids aren’t allowed to have their cellphones in class. However, I do play different games like: Blooket, Quizizz, Kahoot, Quizlet, etc. Sometimes I think to myself, am I spending too much time playing this game with my students? I think not. I play Blooket before we take tests or quizzes in my class. I look at the analytics of the game, and I can see how the kids did answering the questions, and pretty much predict how they will do on the test. I have found a lot of success in using these gaming tools because students remember more. They would rather play a Blooket 4 times than go through a stack of flashcards 4 times. I also enjoy playing the games with the students because then they have even more fun trying to beat me(which they do...on occasion). I try to do things that will bring joy to my students and me, and I would genuinely argue that my students have learned more from continuous Blooket games, than they have doing different classroom activities. 


For the reader: 

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend playing Blooket with your classes. There are random ones you can play, but you can also create your own! It is a great way to boost classroom morale, and have a little fun!


References

Rafiq, K. R., & Hashim, H. (2018). Augmented Reality Game (ARG), 21st century skills and ESL classroom. Journal of Educational and Learning Studies, 1(1), 29. doi:10.32698/0232

Comments

  1. I think that real life experiences and examples are extremely important for students. Gamification is 100% the new and upcoming trend, therefore it is important that we all start implementing it into the classroom. Games like Kahoot and Booket can be beneficial when it comes to practicing for a test. I find that I try to add games to my stations/centers. I find that once you teach the students a specific game they are able to play them independently. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sam,
    I love that you wrote about Augmented Reality and gamification in education. I teach a coding class that involves Minecraft for Education. Students use a block coding language called MakeCode to program events in the game. Additionally, they can build and export their models from Minecraft and import them into a Virtual Reality program. It's really neat to see them tour structures they built in 3D! It's my favorite class to teach! :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To Flip or not to Flip

The Article:  This week brought me back to Google scholar to find an article that would interest me. The article I landed on was Exploring the Impact of Blended, Flipped, and Traditional Teaching Strategies for Teaching Grammar on Iranian EFL Learners by Farzaneh Khodabandeh and Mohammad Hassan Tahririan. This was another 41 page article, so I skimmed through the article and tried to make sense of the information presented.  The Summary:  The article was a study to compare the different types of teaching in an online class setting. In the article they compared the flipped classroom to the blended learning environment and the traditional learning environment. There was a pretest and post test of grammar skills. In the Traditionally taught group, there wasn’t a significant difference between the pretest and the post test. On the other hand in the blended and flipped classroom there was a significant improvement between the two tests. So which method was the best? Well, when we look at th

The beginning and Effective strategies

    This week I was scouring the internet for some interesting reads, to try and wrap my head around starting this blog. As I was exploring blogs of differing genres, I realized the ones I gravitated toward were the "easy reads." Something light, but still worth reading. I also very much enjoy when I read something that directly relates to my content, or something I can easily try in my classroom. That is going to be my goal for this Blog. I will try to make it interesting, so you may read it quickly, and hopefully be able to take something away from it in the end.  My research took me to a 63 page document this week in addition to the readings for class, so needless to say I have been very tired. While I didn't read the document in its entirety, Informing Educators on Effective Strategies for LTELs by Maria Soto taught me about LTELs. LTELs stands for Long Term English Learners, and in her paper, Maria explains that LTELs are often looked upon in frustration for their l